18 September 2013

Inclinations

Do you know that you don't have to do things you are inclined to do as a force of habit?

I am looking to improve my faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ as a mother.  Today I just feel tired of relying on and reverting to my habits as a mother, you know the bad ones.  I yell and get frustrated easily so I am looking to avoid these things by coming to a deeper appreciation/understanding of the power Christ has to teach me a better way.  His Atonement is all cleansing and enabling.  He can show us the higher ways, His ways.

Often I hear prayers with the words "help us to..."  I had a professor who would often laugh about the word help.  I never knew why until now.  As I am trying to overcome these worldly ways of motherhood, my prayers have been full of the word HELP!

However, I have been singing to my babies every night since they were in the womb.  One of the songs I sing is Teach Me to Walk in the Light.

Teach me to walk in the light of His love
Teach me to pray to my Father above
Teach me to know of the things that are right
Teach me, teach me to walk in the light

Come little child and together we'll learn
of His commandments that we may return
home to His presence to live in His sight
Always, always to walk in the light.

Father in Heaven we thank thee this day
for loving guidance to show us the way
Grateful we praise thee with songs of delight
Gladly, gladly we'll walk in the light.

This simple song has enlightened me.  Christ teaches us how to do things in a godly way, in a way that will evoke goodness and truth.  That knowledge is what enables us to practice until we get it right.  So my faith in Christ and His ability to lead me and take upon himself my errors is what will make the difference in the end.

I can change.  Because of Christ, I can turn my heart to God again and again and in the daily struggle one degree turn can make a world of difference for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment